Saturday 29 September 2012

I talk to Strangers


This is Eddy. He owns a road-side stand off of Rt. 108 in Stafford, NH. He sells seasonal produce and the handmade soaps and jams that his wife makes.

I stopped spontaneously because he had a wicked display of pumpkins, and I wanted one...naturally. As I approached his counter, a bee landed on the apple cider you see in the foreground. Without so much as a greeting or a smile, he held up one finger to signal my silence, eyeing the bee with an incredible intensity.

"Watch this. I'm gonna pluck the wings off this fella with my bare hands"

Attempt #1: Fail.

He then attempted to de-wing the bee another three times before regarding my interest in his pumpkins.


His wife just released her newest handmade soap, made with beer. He was so proud as he gloated. It was adorable. But he did warn me to stay far away from her spaghetti sauce.

"TOO MUCH GARLIC WILL GO RIGHT THROUGH YA!"

I'm glad that chance had it to arrange Eddy and I meeting today. He is a good man. A little senile, but good nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment